[78-L] Mart Kenney questions

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Jun 10 19:25:38 PDT 2009

[Re-sending..I don't see it in either of my inboxes, and a couple of my
messages have gone astray today.]

Taylor Bowie wrote:
>> There are two Kenney discographies..in Mart's own book and one that also
>> lists
>> broadcasts (incomplete..I gave the author details on more that I'd found)
>> by
>> the late Ross Brethour.
>>
>> dl
>

> David,  I am confused...I have Mart's book in hand and can't find any
> discography in the thing.  We are talking about Mart Kenney and his Western
> Gentlemen,  pub. in Saskatoon in 1981,  right?   Or is there another book he
> wrote?
>
> Taylor

I'm also confused..Mart's book refers to recording sessions and the songs
recorded at them, within the chapters, but doesn't contain a discography. Jack
Litchfield's "Canadian Jazz Discography" lists those Kenney records of jazz
interest but otherwise refers you to Ross Brethour's bio-discography (and I've
left a message with the fellow who acquired all Ross's stuff because I thought
he had a few copies of the Kenney book for sale at the last Musical
Collectables Show).

Mart's been of interest to me for years..I first met him and Norma Locke in
1952 and he remembered me when we reconnected in 1967.