[78-L] Accent you hate

fnarf at comcast.net fnarf at comcast.net
Wed Jun 10 13:24:37 PDT 2009

Most American actors do AMERICAN accents pretty badly, particularly Southern ones. They lose the subtlety of them and just concentrate on the drawl.

To be fair, most Brits stick to the standard American accent, the equivalent of the British "received pronunciation". I don't know too many Brits who could really do justice to West Texas or North Carolina or Minnesota or Montana or Valley Girl.

Regional accents have become almost a fetish among Britons these days, as opposed to the old days when everyone was eager to shed their Scouse or Geordie and get with the BBC Accent, when people would play "spot the stray giveaway vowel" that betrayed the otherwise impeccable smoothie as being a secret Brummie or Scot or Swansean. I wonder how effective British actors are at doing these regional accents other than their own?

My favorite regional UK accent is Northern Irish -- a taste I share with pretty much nobody!