[78-L] Composers who steal

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Jun 8 08:35:30 PDT 2009

Hey..nobody ever sued Leonard Bernstein or John Williams, and they're two of
the biggest thieves in the business. Lenny was a genius (Williams is NOT, he's
just a talented cut-n-paster who should put a chunk of his fortune in escrow
for Holst, Elgar and Bernard Herrmann) but every time I hear Dohnanyi's
Serenade, I can point to half of the score for "On the Town" which is a blatant
ripoff of its themes.

Richard Rodgers stole from himself all the time. Oh, sorry, "recycled". "Johnny
One Note" is really a tune that was dropped from Mississippi, something about
Pancho. "No Other Love" was part of the "Victory at Sea" score from a year
earlier ("Beneath the Southern Cross"), and "Blue Moon" went through 3 sets of
lyrics before settling on the final one.

dl