[78-L] Composers who steal

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Sun Jun 7 22:36:33 PDT 2009

There are plenty of them,  and almost all of them have done so at one time
or another,  intentionally or not.

While some of you were torturing yourself tonight with the Tony Awards,  I
was playing some olde rekkids and having a fine time!  Here are two
interesting ones I played this evening:

Pathe 036005 Max Terr Orch. "Chansonette"  Composer credit is Rudolf Friml,
and low and behold it turns out to be the same melody as the main part of
The Donkey Serenade,  which I think was written for the film version of The
Firefly in 1935 or so.  No show credit is given on the label,  so I guess it
was just something Friml had kicking around when they needed an additional
song for the movie.

Bluebird 5088  Bert Lown Orch. "We'll Have A Honeymoon Some Day".  This was
the last Bert Lown Bluebird I was missing and I was excitied to be able to
buy it recently.  A very loose performance,  with a great piano solo by
Chauncey Grey and a full-chorus solo from Spencer Clark on bass sax...I
don't recall Rollini ever getting a full chorus when he was with the band.

The song itself is a dreadful redo of Side By Side,  and I wasn't surprised
to see that the composer credit was Harry Woods...talented but seemingly
undisciplined and lazy as a writer.

I guess the lesson is if you want to steal from a composer why not steal
from yourself...you won't get sued that way.

Taylor