[78-L] Fonotipia with Dealer stamp

I. Cubillo i.cubillo at telefonica.net
Sun Jun 7 15:43:40 PDT 2009

Here in Spain, 78s usually carry stamps too, mainly the copyright ones.
Guys, some of those really are worth it's good value... Of course not the
current ones with pre-printed music copyright owners' names, like B.I.E.M.
stamps, or EDIFO, or many others so common in Europe... although some of
them were really nice. I'm talking about the copyright stamps made by the
authors directly, not through a music representative. Many were blank HMV or
Columbia stamps, where the authors imprinted their own ink & rubber
signatures. And here's the plot: some authors really signed each stamp with
a fountain pen, so you can have original signatures by famous authors!

Many spanish 78s carry also dealer stamps. I used to register tham in the
past, making a directory of record stores. Then I used to visit the places
to see what remained. Surprisingly, some of the stores still were selling
records and music, and some of them still have some 78s left, back in the
early eighties.

The best one was a small corner music store I discovered back in 1979. It
was carried on by two mid -aged ladies, the daughters of the former
proprietor. When I entered the store, I couldn't believe what I saw there...
an entire wall shelved with 78s. I asked if they were really 78s and they
said Yes! Of course! There were thousands of 78s fresh new! I had then
little money to spend... but I went there for years to buy 78s, brand new,
at a very fair price (just the same price they had back in 1960!).

The case was that the owner didnt want to trash the 78s when every store was
doing this in Madrid, back in 1965, as they weren't sold anymore.. People
simply didn't want more 78s, and they were demanding the LPs and EPs and all
the microgroove stuff, so dealers had to make room for the new records. 78s
simply were very heavy and bulky, and people didn't buy them, so they were
literally lots of stores throwing away 78s. This man loved records, so he
didn't trash them poor 78s, he simply boxed them and kept them all in the
basement. And that's why I could have access to so many fresh new 78s just
40 years later.

Sniff !!!

Iñigo Cubillo