[78-L] speaking of polkas I need your help

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Jun 5 22:01:26 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrea Walsh" <petquality1 at gmail.com>
> Banda and Nortena and Polka music can sound an awful lot alike, if there
> are
> no i-yi-yi yippings thrown in to betray the Mexian enthusiasm...

When I was but a children, back in Waynesville, Illinois...the square dances
(only kind we had until the late fifties, when the young folkses demanded
"rock'n'roll" dances!!) always included polka-rhythm "schottisches" which
were danced in small arm-in-arm groups in line. My father, who had spent
a lost of time in Chicago, used to dance a REAL polka with another woman
who had grown up an an ethnic "polka zone"...?!

...stevenc