[78-L] changing steel needle to sapphire

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Jun 5 15:26:10 PDT 2009

I agree with Royal.  The seller does not say he modified the arm.  He
says the crystal cartridge was rebuilt -- the crystals usually are
broken by this time -- and that he fitted it with a sapphire stylus.
They were available on either straight shank or shanks bent at an angle.
 Back in the 40s there was controversy as to whether to use these
jeweled styli because they might be too hard and wear out the shellac if
the arm is heavy.  Remember, the idea is to have the record wear the
soft steel rather than have the needle wear the record.  NEVER USE A
JEWEL POINT IN AN ACOUSTICAL MACHINE OR AN EARLY HORSESHOE MAGNET
ELECTRICAL ARM.  It probably is OK in this machine.  They talked about
one or one and a half ounces back then as being light enough.  Broadcast
arms were 2 ounces and they had permanent jewelled styli.

By the time of the introduction of microgroove and vinyl, the cartridges
used were about 7 or 8 grams which is about a half ounce I believe.
That's about the upper limit for microgroove,  and perhaps even
widegroove vinyl.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com