[78-L] Polkas eliminated as a Grammy category

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Fri Jun 5 14:29:16 PDT 2009

I see two reasons for this.

One is a blame that lies directly on polka bands themselves. Having
engineered a polka show for about 4 years in the mid 70s, I can tell
you that most of the stuff played was the most inane slop I had ever
heard. I grew up listening to polkas and there was a stack of old
Dana 78s at the ready. I wore out and eventually ended up accidently
breaking great records by people like Ray Henry and Frank Wojnaroski.
I was able to replace them for cheaps on a bulk lot purchase about 25
old Dana side on eBay ($6.99). The stuff that people were putting out
couldn't hold a candle to those records. Plus -- having heard alot of
polkas and getting records of the same from Radio Prague, I can tell
you that that stuff -- from the source -- puts modern grammy
nominated polkas to shame.

The second is that what I regard as real polkas - that being the
stuff from Eastern Europe -- is ignored by the Starbucks-ian crowd
who think that they are sooooo cool because they are listening to
some tribesman from Equatorial Guinea bang on a drum -- ah yes --
what do they call it -- world beat. Hell I was listening to world
beat when I was 2 years old when I heard those old Dana 78s!

If polkas are to be respected they need to come back to their roots
and be recognised as much as a form of folk music as styles such as
that of artists like the Afro-Cuban All-Stars, The Buena Vista Social
Club, and Flaco Jimenez. To that end, Sturr did not do wrong by
recording with Willie Nelson.

Tony