[78-L] some guys have all the luck

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Jun 5 07:47:31 PDT 2009

From: "Jack Palmer" <vdalhart at earthlink.net>
> I'm puzzled about this. Those are not lost recordings.
> Most of the OTR programs floating around are from the 40s
> and include everyone on the radio at that time. A few of
> these recordings might be a new find, but I would bet that
> many of them are already available on 40s radio programs
> owned by me and many other OTR collectors. Jack

Consider the source.  This is an article in the New York Post, for
Pete's sake, which is noted for being the most inaccurate and unreliable
newspaper in the country.  There are entire books devoted to reprinting
their outlandish headlines.  It is the New York Graphic of the modern
era.  (The Graphic was the paper in the 20s that that published
"Composographs" which pasted people's faces on fake pictures, such as
Rudolph Valentino in the operating room where he died, and him greeting
Caruso in heaven.)  Rupert Murdoch is Bernarr MacFadden with an
Australian accent.

As for the broadcast recordings in question, while there are many
broadcasts which are lost, in the era of these discs there are no lost
episodes of Jack Benny, Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, and the Jack Paar 1948
Summer replacement show, the programs obviously mentioned in the
article.  I agree with your analysis.  On the other hand, I discovered
the earliest recording of Paul Harvey at the end of a home recorded
episode of The Henry Morgan Show.  That entire Morgan series exists, but
not that Paul Harvey newscast, nor any others from the 1940s.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com