[78-L] Mart Kenney questions

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Thu Jun 4 22:13:45 PDT 2009

Yes,  I know.  One of my books has a Kenney discography but I can't recall
which one.  It isn't the picture book on Canadian dance bands or the book
written by Kenney himself. Can anyone jar my memory and tell me where that
Kenney discog is printed?   I have been fortunate to pick up about a  dozen
Canadian pressings which I have in addition to the American issue Bluebird
which I mentioned.

Most copies I've found of There's Honey On The Moon have some buzzing in the
higher registers,  esp. when the girl singer,  Georgia Day,  hits the word
"bus" in the release...makes it sound like she's singing "We won't need a
boat,  a motor car,  or a BUZZ."

I just counted and I  have twelve Kenney 78s...the first five are American
Bluebirds (two 7000 series,  three 10000 series) and others (all later) are
Canadian pressings on either Bluebird or Victor.  One of the last ones is In
Love In Vain so that dates from 1947,  I think.

I have one "mystery" record by him....but I'm sure one of you can clear up
the mystery for me.  It looks like late 40s and is on some sort of blue
label but there are stickers covering the label name and I don't want to rip
them off.  It's #T-13437 and T-13438.  Tunes areWhen I Get Back To Calgary
b/w Down in Nashville,  Tennessee.  The bottom of the label says "Canadian
Music Sales Corp. Ltd.  Toronto,  Canada."

So what is this label?  Also...were there Canadian issues of the two 7000
Bluebirds?  I've only seen the American issues of those two.

Thanks from

Taylor