[78-L] Rex Battle, or not?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Jun 4 19:53:22 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> The odd thing is that Rex Battle DID record classical piano solos for Apex
> before 1925, and there's an unissued and unnumbered off-air recording with
> Compo label of Battle playing something (I forget what, but I have it). I
> think
> Rust identifies it as the Bar Harbor Society Orchestra (Banner 1525 etc).
> Actual matrix numbers should be 5890-1 and 5891-1, as well as 2626-1 and
> 2627-1
> (presumably split among Banner, Domino, Emerson and Regal). 21053 is
> another
> Apex issue number (Domino Canada). Sterling 10000 is yet another Compo
> issue
> number.

I assume this reference SHOULD have been Starr 10000? Compo's 10000 series
was used on the Starr label for Anglophone pop-music releases; the Compo
Sterling label (a 35-cent "bargain" label) didn't appear until WELL after
1925!

2626 and 2627 sound like Compo matrix numbers; 5890/91 sound like Plaza
matrix numbers...I would guess that the Compo numbers are the originals,
since
AFAIK Compo never assigned controls in their own matrix series to Plaza
(or any?) matrices they might have issued on Apex et al!

So the question here is whether the Starr 10000 series started with 1000*0*
as
this suggests...or 10001?!

...stevenc