[78-L] Rex Battle, or not?

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Thu Jun 4 12:56:00 PDT 2009

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the info...I'd never heard of this guy until now and there's no
mention of him in my book about Canadian dance bands.

The web page you linked says that he played at the Mount Royal from 1922
through 1929,  so why wouldn't this be a legit record of that band?  The
article goes on to say that in '34 he founded one of the earliest "jazz" big
bands,  but I didn't read that to mean he was  starting his "first band."

While we're on the subject of Canadian dance orchestras,  I'm always
interested in any information about Mart Kenney...his 1938 Bluebird of
There's Honey on the Moon is one of my core faves.

Taylor B