[78-L] Rex Battle, or not?

Stephen Davies SDavies at mtroyal.ca
Thu Jun 4 12:39:35 PDT 2009

Folks,
        I have a disc which is attributed to Rex Battle & his dance
orchestra:

Apex 8333-A (Mx 10000=A ?): The midnight waltz
Apex 8333-B (Mx 21051=A ?): I've found my sweetheart Sally (a.k.a. I found
my sweetheart Sally)

        Is this the disc from which Battle, a classical musician,
distanced himself in later years?

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=U1ARTU0000220
<<<
His few 78s for Apex as a pianist (in Chopin and Liszt) and accompanist
(to Ernest-Gill Plamondon and Leon Kofman) are listed in _Roll Back The
Years_, as is an Apex 78 whose attribution to 'Rex Battle and His Mount
Royal Hotel Orchestra' has been disputed by Battle.

        If Battle really didn't wax this disc, whose tracks are on it? The
matrices are wildly far apart, and the songs were both very popular about
ten years before Battle started his band in 1934.
        Thanks in advance for any help.

Labels are viewable at:
http://bigband-smallband.blogspot.com#8433007726184425144

- Stephen D
Calgary

addressed, and may
contain confidential, personal, and or privileged information. Please
contact the sender
immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication,
and do not copy,
distribute, or take action relying on it. Any communication received in
error, or subsequent
reply, should be deleted or destroyed.