[78-L] " The Archive" - Documentary

Steve Ramm steveramm78l at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 1 17:01:34 PDT 2009

While in DC at the ARSC Conference I picked up a schedule for the American Film Institute. The listing for 6/17/09 has a feature documentary on hip-hop sampling but the short before that caught my eye. It's called "The Archive" and is about Paul Mawhinney's collection and his trying to sell it. I thought it was the one that was on ebay (the film) when he tried to sell it but after watching it, I'm not sure.

It was done by someone other than Paul. It's available to watch on Vimeo and I think it's worth your time to watch it. It's only 7 minutes.

Here is the link:

http://www.vimeo.com/1546186

Put together with Leah Biel's new hour long documentary, it paints an interesting picture of "collecting" and "commerce".

Paul is an ARSC member.

Steve Ramm