[78-L] What happened to Rufy Vallee...

soundthink at aol.com soundthink at aol.com
Sun May 31 12:20:37 PDT 2009

Having worked in the archive myself (I once spent a summer dubbing his sorry, sad, one-man shows for Sun City dowagers from reel-to-reel to cassette), I can vouch for the often repulsive attitudes Vallee had for his fellow man. Among things preserved in the collection are a series of angry, vindictive letters sent to Ozzie Nelson, whose success on television he envied. In his one-man shows,?he sang his songs and told old, wheezy jokes, accompanied only by a pre-taped piano. One mortifying collection was his jokes, stories, and one-liners, neatly categorized by race and religious persuasion. His ego was such that it is likely he had collected every single item ever printed about him - reviews, radio listings, personal appearances - it's all there. The only person who I think may rival him in self-documentation is Jerry Lewis. It's an astounding collection, assembled by a man who was obsessed with himself.

Cary Ginell