[78-L] Analog TV sets--was: excerpts from PBS announcement - DTV coming 6/12

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat May 23 19:40:43 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Ramm" <steveramm78l at hotmail.com>
> YEp. Got it. Will be interesting. Our PBS station has so low a digirtal
> signal that if you use a converter it is the ONLY network station we can't
> get! They promised they would boost power on 6/12 but it killed their
> pledge drive revenue.  I'm all set for June 12th. Love my 27 inch
> (standard format) Sony TV though it's 30 years old and NEVER had a repair.
> Sounds great too! ;-)

Sony TV's from that era were effectively INdestrictible! Starting in 1977,
I used to be a "cable guy"...and we carried smallish Sony TV's (14"?) in
our vans, used either to check actual signals or to demonstrate that a
problem was due to the subscriber's TV and NOT us!

I carried this TV for about 17 years...and it even got dropped down
a flight of stairs a couple of times...so when a 21" version showed up
at a rummage sale for $5, I grabbed it! I have owned it for almost 12
years (not used heavily...I'm NOT a "tv person!") and it still provides
a nice picture! In fact, I subscribed to Bell's ExpressVu, which will
supposedly going to provide me with an analog signal (although
mandating digital TV will probably mean a-to-d "converters" will be
readily and (I hope) CHEAPLY available?!)!

I learned TV repair back in the "tube" days! However, 99.9% of
to-day's TV sets are NOT built to be repaired...they have about
a dozen (or less) 100(+/-)-pin IC's soldered in place, so even if
one KNOWS which IC is "dead," installing a replacement is neither
possible nor practical!

Welcome to the XXI Jahrhundert...when/where household devices
are land-filled, NOT repaired...?!

Steven C. Barr