[78-L] Steinweiss and illustrated album covers

Bill McClung bmcclung at ix.netcom.com
Thu May 21 10:41:08 PDT 2009

Maybe I should be reading with more understanding but I never thought he
was making the claim Steinweiss INVENTED the illustrated album cover.  I
always thought he was saying Steinweiss's album covers were the first
MODERN album covers.  I always thought it was a celebration of his style
not a claim to his invention.

I'm on the road in scenic Amarillo so when I get home this weekend I guess
I'll do some careful reading.

MX
> 251
> "Ballad For Americans" Paul Robeson w/ Nat Shilkret, Conductor - Victor
P-20

> Others are listed and illustrated on the inside back cover of the
Gershwin
> Columbia album:
>
> These may already have been posted and if so I apologize
> .
> Brahms Symphony No. 4 Phila Orch. Ormandy Sets M-MM567
> Offenbach:Gaite Parisienne-London Phil.  Sets X-MX 115
> Grieg-Peer Gynt Suite-Beecham-London-Sets X-MX 180
> Lalo-Symphonie Espagnole-Miltein w/ Phil;a. Ormandy Sets M-MM 564
>
> Several more.
> I can list upon request. All WW II releases  OPA Ceiling Prices are
listed.

> Al Simmons

05/21/09