[78-L] Steinweiss and illustrated album covers

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu May 21 06:47:30 PDT 2009

HMV put out complete Gilbert and Sullivan operettas in the late 1910s with
gorgeous full colour covers. And the Brunswick Showboat set is something to
behold, with the artwork extending across the back cover and signed photographs
of the performers on the inside.

Personally, I find Steinweiss's stuff too "adorable" much of the time. Give me
DSM. If you ever find the DISC album of Prokofiev conducting Romeo and Juliet
(which is absolutely worthless from a technical standpoint, even if it was
pressed on vinyl), that cover is a surrealistic masterpiece and one character
in it looks exactly like Marlon Brando, a couple of years before anyone ever
heard of him.

dl