[78-L] Steinweiss and illustrated album covers

don ward dward7 at earthlink.net
Wed May 20 22:34:03 PDT 2009

Some early examples of illustrated albums can be found with the "Wallace reducing records"  complete with illustrations of the proper way to exercise.
In the early 30s Victor album C2 featured Nat Shilkret playing Steven Foster complete with inside photos. Others in the same series C28 "Symposium of Swing", C29 "George Gershwin memorial set", C31 "Jerome Kern", C33 "Victor Herbert".
Consider the photographs had to be etched metal plates and type for  letter presses and not offset, the quality is outstanding.
dnw