[78-L] Snopes debunks another rumor

Jim Whipkey suuford at msn.com
Wed May 20 13:43:19 PDT 2009

> Subject: [78-L] Snopes debunks another "rumor"
>

> > Just in case you need something to laugh about: according to
> > snopes.com, the Library of Congress is *not* planning to transfer its
> > entire audio collection to 78 RPM records:
> >
> > http://www.snopes.com/music/media/loc78rpm.asp
> >
> >                         -        Jeff Lichtman
> >                                  jeff at swazoo.com
> >                                  Check out Swazoo Koolak's Web Jukebox
at
> >                                  http://swazoo.com/
> >
> >Ah, but isn't it  wonderful how  the rumors can be debunked and they
still will still not die?
I  had an appointment with my eye doctor at OSU hospital today, a great
surgeon and  a  big music fan.  He has an older brother who he says is  an
even bigger fan (and collector) of old music and  said he  laughed at the
Brother's story about the  Library of Congress planning to put  their audio
collection on records/vinyl/disc/ whatever term  seems to get used. He know
the Snopes debunking story.  He  also  believes it makes sense to make the
transfer to something, some way and  does not totally discount  the root
premise of  this transfer  story.  He was further reinforced with an  "Aha"
look and  comment  when I told him about getting out a 30 year old tape last
week to make a copy and it had started to degrade and I was glad I have now
made two backup copies on newer tape and hopefully extended its shelf life.
Personally, I would not be surprised to see  the Library of Congress does
have some sort of plan "B",  but pretty sure it won't be  78rpm records.
Jim Whipkey