[78-L] Mills Brothers song

Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. citroenid19 at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 19 18:00:05 PDT 2009

Michael Biel wrote:
>> But, aren't ceramic cart less compliant and harder on records?
>> Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr.
>>

> Of course they are, but not anywhere near like an acoustical machine or
> most pre-1948 electricals. In these ceramics the heavier tracking weight
> and limited compliance holds the needle in the groove (even if
> incorrectly sized) which, along with the natural high frequency
> roll-off, makes it seem like there is less surface noise.

Speekenah,
I have a very nice old Magnavox cabinet radio-phono. The radio works a
charm, but the phono is mute. I suspect the cartridge is dead. Is there
a good way of testing it? Pull the phono cord off the amp and listen for
a chunk?

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)
Technology, thoughtfully, responsibly.