[78-L] Mills Brothers song

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue May 19 07:30:06 PDT 2009

From: "Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr." <citroenid19 at sbcglobal.net>
> Pricey, professional quality, though. Very nice.

You two do realize that this excursion in this thread was started by
Steve Barr explaining his quest to be able to record from his $3 garage
sale phonograph if he can find some ceramic powerpoint type N8-3D
replacement needles which put out a line-level output.  I don't think he
is considering a budget much above $10.  Got any suggestions at that
price level?

I have found that there is a manufacturer now making those powerpoints
again but they only have one point on them so there is no flip-over
possible. There are two different ones available at about $14 each. One
has a 1 mil diamond for microgroove and the other is the 3 mil Steve
would need, but only in sapphire.  (Since the diamond for a 3 mil point
is three times the size of a 1 mil diamond, it would bring the cost up
too much, so they're not making them.)  Of course he would rather find
cheaper NOS, and so would I.  I just picked up another Caliphone for
Leah to use for simple playbacks, but it only had an LP point.  I hate
spending $14 for a needle for a phonograph I paid $5 for!  But she does
have much better equipment as well.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com