[78-L] Garage Sale Find - Disc New York 12" 78 rpm Record

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon May 18 08:15:20 PDT 2009

I. Cubillo wrote:
> Hi! I'm scarcely buying records now... (my collection has reached almost
> 5,000 78s, too big for a home in a flat). But sometimes I go chasing outta
> dere. In my last round I found, at a local store, a good jazz collection,
> maybe 300-400 78s. I bought 20 or so, and among them was one of those Baby
> Dodds drum solos, in a french pressing, black label named Blue Star, a
> product pressed by EMI France (the Marconiphone affair) with those M3
> control numbers. Never have seen one of those before.
>
> Label states:
>
> BLUE STAR - Made in France
> BS no. 95 (A/B)
> Serie Dixieland - Circle Series
> DRUM IMPROVISATION no. 1 (Baby Dodds)
> Baby Dodds, solo drums.
> Supervised by Rudy Blesh
> Matrix NY-4, control numbers PART 6244 and M3-116764.
>
> The other side is:
>
> Wolverine Blues (Jelly Roll Morton)
> Baby Dodds Trio (Baby Dodds, drums - Albert Nicholas, clarinet - Don Ewell,
> piano)
> Supervised by Rudy Blesh
> Matrix NY-1A, control numbers PART 6242 and M3-116762.
>
> Nice record. It has a dealer sticker from BROADWAY (79 Champs Élysées).
>
> Wondering if someone can put some light on the recording dates, original
> issue, etc.;  also those control numbers PART 6244 etc., that I've seen also
> on other frenchies. Are there Capitol numbers?
>
> Inigo
>-------------
Here is the whole session (from Lord 4.4):

Baby Dodds
Albert Nicholas (cl) Don Ewell (p) Baby Dodds (d) solo on (1)
New Orleans, January 6, 1946
NY-1A    Wolverine blues    Circle 1001, GHB 50, Riv RLP12-216
NY-2    Buddy Bolden's blues           1039,    -       -         ,
Concert Hall
         (Eu)J1354, Monkey (F)MY40030
NY-3    Albert's blues    Circle 1002, GHB 50, Riv RLP12-216, Concert Hall
         (Eu)J1354, Monkey (F)MY40030
NY-4    Drum improvisation (no 1)    Circle 1001, GHB 50
NY-5    Drum improvisation (no 2)           1039,    -
Note: GHB 50 entitled "Jazz a la Creole".

Raben contains more issues, including the Blue Star.

      Julian Vein