[78-L] Mills Brothers song

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun May 17 19:17:30 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr." <citroenid19 at sbcglobal.net>
> Steven C. Barr wrote:

Well, I recently discovered that I DO own a "record player" which uses the
N8-3d needle...in fact, will take TWO of the dommed things should I so
wish! Next step is to find the requisite needles. Then, I shall cut the
cartridge output lead and redirect it to a "mini-phone-plug" which I can
then plug into the "Line In" jack of my sound card...a ceramic cartridge
puts out a nice 1 volt "line-level" signal, and I USED to record my 78's
to cassette by taking the cartridge output and feeding it into the "Line
In" jack of my old Sony r-2-r deck, which was also the centre of my
"sound system!"

The 3-mil needle seems to work fine on about 99.9% of vintage 78's...
it CAN'T handle a very few Grey Gull discs, though (I would guess
they have VERY oversize grooves...?!). I dubbed MANY a 78 to
cassette for DL for reissue purposes using this same set-up...however,
I lost the Sony machine (and my old record player to boot) back in
1997, when a few SO-CALLED(?!) "friends" decided to hold a
"contents sale" while I was lying in hospital...if God is just, they
will PAY for this...?!

Now I have to recreate the setup...just need a reliable source for
N8-3D needles...!!

...stevenc