[78-L] "Selling Sounds" reviewed [FWD]

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat May 16 23:10:00 PDT 2009

From: "Mike Harkin" <harkinmike at yahoo.com>

From: "Steven C. Barr" <stevenc at interlinks.net>
> Probably the same reason I own about 55,050 USED 78rpm phonorecords!
> Anyway, buyers of "used" CD's are often looking for those long since out of
> print or otherwise UNavailable "new"...?! Current CD's can be purchased
> just about EVERYWHERE...while no-longer-current ones require a bit
> of searching...and quite possibly the outlay of MORE money once found!

No, Steve, Mike is talking about seeing the EXACT SAME CD, often very
recent ones, for a higher price in "used" condition than some that are
in "new" condition -- still sealed.  This is because the dealers with
the less expensive new copies are selling those they got as remainders
or overstock, while the used dealers are pricing them according to what
they had originally paid for the discs before they were available as
remainders or overstocks. Additionally there are many that are made by
discount labels that sell new at the bargain price level, but when they
show up in a used book store (remember that Amazon is primarily a book
site) that type of store often doesn't realize that the CD is a bargain
brand, not a full priced brand.

> I dunno if CD's have been around long enough to have formed a long list
> of "Discs so bad that NOBODY wants'em...or if they do, they already
> own a copy!" Something like 78's of "Doggie In the Window"...?! ...stevenc

I don't know what the hell you mean with this.  You obviously do not
look at Amazon CD listings.  CDs have been around for over 25 years and
of course there are tens of thousands of them that nobody wants, but
that is not at all what he is talking about.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com