[78-L] Mills Brothers song

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat May 16 22:09:28 PDT 2009

Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. wrote:
> > Does someone have an MP3 of "The Jones Boy", by the Mills Brothers? I
> > hear it when I was a kid and haven't since.

> I have it on what they used to call a "record"...   dl

They recorded it at least twice.  Leah has that 45 of the original Decca
hit here and on an LP we just got a couple of weeks ago.  There also was
a 1960s re-recording on Dot that also appeared on other labels.  It is
the latter that is on I-Tunes.  Leah had to find it for a friend, and
after I told her that the I-Tunes was the wrong recording, we found the
Decca 45 at our store in Lexington along with a Dot LP with the remake.
We could do an MP3 if no one else can, but we are not immediately set up
to do it.

What sounds like a concert or live TV recording is at
http://www.last.fm/music/The+Mills+Brothers/_/The+Jones+Boy

The 45 of the original Decca hit is overpriced on obay
http://cgi.ebay.com/MILLS-BROTHERS--THE-JONES-BOY--DECCA-45-(1953)_W0QQitemZ220414367538QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090514?IMSfp=TL090514144011r12061

The only version on You-Tube is a cover on a Bell 7-inch 78 by a group
that also includes a woman.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_KISUITNic

There is also an excerpt of what also seems to be a later re-recording
here
http://mog.com/music/The_Mills_Brothers/22_Great_Hits/The_Jones_Boys

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com