[78-L] Presto cutter

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat May 16 12:26:13 PDT 2009

From: Bertrand CHAUMELLE <chaumelle at orange.fr>

> Oh, I see, I forgot about transcriptions, thanks, Royal.
> In Paris, Philips used Presto cutters around 1954 for their sessions
> (at the same time, they used a tape recorder for the 45/33 pressings!).
> But they recorded on very thick discs, do you think it was a radically
> different Presto model ?

The 6 series was a "portable" machine -- portable in that it had handles
on it!!  It is more likely that Philips used the 8 series lathes which
were studio machines that weighed hundreds of pounds.  There now are
many web sites that illustrate some very good collections and even some
of the old literature.  None of that info was around when I did my
research in the 70s, but I found found the son of one of the founders,
and he had a very good memory and even better scrapbooks of every piece
of literature Presto ever published.  Of course I am not near my
microfilms of his data right now.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com