[78-L] Douglas Macarthur on 78

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri May 15 20:29:01 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "simmonssomer" <simmonssomer at comcast.net>
> McCormick's Chicago Tribune was hard core isolationist which was not to
> prescient in 1938-39-40.

Yup! So was my father...which is why he read "The Trib" and all but
grovelled at the feet of Gen. McArthur! Like most midwesterners, he
wanted SFA to do with Winston Churchill...a "furriner" and possible
Commie sympathizer...!

Unlike to-day's hard-core right, he was NOT trying to justify
8-digit "bonuses" for the aristocrat-wannabes...he just thought
that NOBODY had the right to tell HIM what/what not to do!

Oddly enough, he was also very NON-racist...I grew up
encouraged to associate with "negroes" whenever possible,
and the "N-word" was BANNED in our home (and guaranteed
a mouthful of soap bar!!)!

...stevenc