[78-L] Snipes and snails...

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri May 15 19:47:49 PDT 2009

Leroy Van Dyke sang the "Auctioneer" song (as did Gordon Lightfoot)..the famous
"trained" auctioneer was Speed Riggs, who was the Lucky Strike voice (even
transcribed, on some programs like Information Please) and who made a couple of
discs in that "Lucky Strike Presents" series. The neat one is where he does his
spiel and then Raymond Scott imitates him musically in "Tobacco Auctioneer".

Sniping works fairly well. Not always. You can set it for 2 or 3 or 4 seconds
before closing and the system can foul up, their site has been known to go down
at critical moments, your bid can be refused because of an unseen condition
imposed by the seller (no non-US bids is one that's been known to trap me, and
I never see it) or it can just screw up. Doesn't happen often, but it happens.

dl