[78-L] Prices of 78s

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri May 15 18:36:42 PDT 2009

From: "Taylor Bowie" <bowiebks at isomedia.com>
> David, I don't know the Hawthorne or Reiss list but are you saying
> that if you win something from them that you pay your full bid,
> even if the underbidder was way below you?

You get it for what you bid even if you were the only bidder!

> I would not consider those to be real auctions, but more like
> "make offer" lists, where the seller accepts the highest offer
> regardless of the amount of the second highest.

This is how traditional record mail auctions worked for decades, but I
have been spoiled by the Nauck system and O-boy where I can overbid and
know I will not have to pay that amount unless some other jerk ALSO
overbids!!!!!!  If Kurt is lucky there will be at least a pair of
overbidders, and then he will make a fortune (as if he isn't already!)
I find that this encourages me to bid higher than I would otherwise,
because I know that in many cases I will get it for a lower amount.

> I just received my winning list from the most recent Nauk and I was stunned
> as to how many items I won at the minimum bid, regardless of how much more
> I had offered. I sure prefer paying three bucks for something rather than
> 25 or 30, which was the case with several records.  Taylor B

I got all but 5 of my wins at less than what I bid, and in one great
case I got a record I have been looking for for 30 years at the $3
minimum despite my overbid in the teens.  I was flabbergasted that no
one else wanted it, just as I am flabbergasted at some of the things
that I lost and was sure that nobody else in their right mind could
possibly want that record.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>