[78-L] Bear in mind...

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri May 15 06:37:43 PDT 2009

Taylor Bowie wrote:
>  DL wisely pointed out:
>
>> Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you. Don't worry, I
>> don't
>> have any more wise sayings.
>
>> Actually these are "traditional" auctions, and this is the way record
>> auctions
>> operated for many years, since you don't know what the next highest bid
>> was.
>> And in the Hawthorns' case, you find out how much you lost by since the
>> "items
>> you didn't win" are enumerated in your invoice (no crying towels
>> included).
>

> Yes,  I know it's "traditional" but that system is still not a true auction,
> where bidders raise each other or where "the house" does the raising for
> you.  If David bids a dollar and Taylor bids five dollars,  I pay maybe a
> buck-fifty on a real auction but I pay the full five on the "traditional"
> auction.  I'm usually all in favor of  "tradition" but not in this case!
>
> My first record  "auction" was from a November 1965 issue of Record
> Research.  I won three records:
>
> Varsity Eight (Cummins/Radlach) Oriole of You're Driving Me Crazy   75
> cents.
>
> Jane Gray Harmony (w/ Rube Bloom) of Say It Again   50 cents.
>
> And my big purchase,  the Armstrong Okeh of Hear Me Talkin' To Ya b/w Tight
> Like This for the staggering sum of $1.75.
>
> I think the shipping was fifty cents.  BTW I still have all three of those
> copies of the records.
>

> Taylor B

But you still bid blind and took a chance that nobody would really need those
records and be willing to pony up $5 or $10 on them. I realize it's not a
"traditional" auction in that it's not open, but record auctions from a printed
list ran that way for decades, so they're "traditional" in that one sense.
Fair? Within the accepted rules, yes, and you usually have a minimum bid shown
or implied. Larry Holdridge's auction also continues to run in this manner, as
do others..if they decide to go to internet bidding, things may change.