[78-L] Assistance in Identifying Teddy Wilson track

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu May 14 21:22:17 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lewis" <uncledavelewis at hotmail.com>
> The LP is a Sutton, "Featuring Teddy Wilson" (SSU 289). Track is "Bugle
> Call Rag," instrumentation is muted trumpet, vibes, piano, bass and drums
> with brushes.
> The vibes are obviously Red Norvo, and Wilson is on piano. Trumpet sounds
> like Charlie Shavers, but cannot be sure. Can anyone identify this
> recording and provide personnel and source?

I would guess it could be this recording (which was in the milk box I was
entering into MS Access earlier to-day!)...?!

Musicraft 318-B (m# 5238)...from unknown 78rpm album set.

Teddy Wilson Quintet "Bugle Call Rag"...pno TW; tpt C Shavers;
vbs Red Norvo; bass Al Hall; dms "Specs" Powell

318-A is "Memories Of You" by the same group; set also includes
316 and 317 (I have all three).

When/if I get my "record player" up and running (and re-needled!)
I can provide (I hope) digital copies of my shellac archive!

...stevenc