[78-L] Prices of 78s

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu May 14 20:59:33 PDT 2009

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. wrote:
> At 03:29 PM 5/14/2009, you wrote:
>> I noted that a well-known eBay seller was offering,  among other items,  a
>> very nice copy of the Goldkette Victor of "Sunday."  My copies are pretty
>> nice but I thought I'd try for maybe a half-grade upgrade since I like the
>> thing so much and this conservative seller listed it at E+.
>>
>> I was surprised that it,  and other common Goldkette Victors,  got quite a
>> flurry of last-minute and snipe bids.  and "Sunday" ended up selling for
>> $54.
>>
>> Seems to show that there is still  a demand for the best copies possinle,
>> and that there are more than a few people who are willing to pay for
>> quality.
>>
>> Taylor B
>
> Yes if you want a certain record really bad don't be afraid to set a
> snipe for $100, $500 or even $1000 whatever you can afford. That way
> your chances of winning the record are much better. You may have won
> that 78 for $55 or so if you had the winning snipe......

This, of course, spoils us for "real auctions" like Hawthorn's and Reiss's
where what you bid is what you pay. Nauck's is a real auction as well, but
bidding is on a similar basis to eBoom and what you pay is just a percentage
above the next highest bid. And Green River now operates so that you can see
the second highest bid online, as well as know when you have to raise your bid.
Makes things interesting.