[78-L] RadioRe: This Will Make Radio Even MORE Dead

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu May 14 20:52:26 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kristjan Saag" <saag at telia.com>
> Michael Biel wrote:
>> Some of you might remember the memorable ARSC Conference session with
>> reps of the RIAA where I finally got so disgusted with them I squelched
>> them by shouting out "YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU ARE TALKING
>> ABOUT!"  It was just this matter that was being flogged by them.  They
>> were of the opinion that no artists would ever create anything if they
>> were not getting paid for it.  I told them to ask Vincent Van Gough
>> about that.  They were of the opinion that there would be no new music
>> unless Garth Brooks and the giant multinationals got paid royalties for
>> sales of everybody's records.
> --
> Sure.
> The ideal artist is the one who cuts off his ear in praise of his art,
> before asking for his due revenues.
> It's precisely because of the case of Vincent and other martyrs that the
> record companies, publishers, art editors, movie companies etc are able to
> force inhumane deals upon artists.
> I'm happy if my neighbour listens to my CD and the local AM station plays
> it! Don't bother with royalties! Sigh.
> By the way: there never was a Vincent van Goff.

No...having been a "semi-pro" blues musician for about 25 years...and known
innumerable "musician-wannabes"...this isn't quite the actual case!
Musician-
wannabes...almost all male...are dreaming of, and usually expecting, the
power, prestige and SEX that they figure ALL musicians get (they
DON'T, of course...?!) once they sign "major-label album contracts!"
As well about 99.9% of them know SFA about the details of "deals"
to boot...so they will happily affix their signatures to every paper they
might be handed...!!

Publishing royalties? Composer royalties? "Never heard of 'em...but
once my CD is a MAJOR hit...and I'm famous EVERYwhere...I
won't need to worry about those minor details!"

And I DO have two blues CD's...which I shall restore to availability
once that becomes affordable!

...stevenc