[78-L] Doing something wrong?

Thomas Stern sternth at attglobal.net
Wed May 13 17:56:40 PDT 2009

A few observations:
Some of the material I watch on eBay has, in the last couple of months,
shown sluggish or no bids.
  A few items continue to command a premium,
but others, which have in the past gotten hefty prices, are not getting
them anymore.  I think the economy is impacting sales.  Also possible
that the market for some niche genres is saturated - i.e. those who wanted
these items got them, sometimes at excessive price, and there is no further
market.
  A lot of vinyl from the 50's-60's has become available as that generation
downsizes,
or dies.
  Shellac seems to be getting a new audience (lots of stuff you could not
give away 10 years ago is now getting bids), but also may be experiencing
a downturn for the same reasons.
  It is also possible that more bidders are becoming aware that you have a
better chance of getting an item at a reasonable price by sniping - so you
won't see any bids until closing.
  Best wishes, Thomas.