[78-L] "Selling Sounds" reviewed

Bill McClung bmcclung at ix.netcom.com
Wed May 13 10:08:20 PDT 2009

I called a friend in the Harvard Univ Press sales department and should
have an answer for you in a bit as to the construction of the cover image.

I'm in my 35th year in the book publishing game and to my eye it's an
illustration (probably photoshopped) instead of a straight ahead
photograph.  I should have an answer by tomorrow from the design
department.  I'm betting the machine was pieced together and did not come
in a single piece.

I'm assuming they didn't want to pay to use an RCA image so the designer
found a table top machine with a big horn or added a big horn just to
enhance things.

Book graphics, like album graphics, are tough to get right.  You hope you
get the customer's attention with a glance that turns into a look which
turns into picking the book up which turns into a reading of the
jacket/flap copy which turns into a sale.  Who knows why that machine was
used.  I got the joke so it worked on me, even knowing that the machine (I
can't call it a record player) was improper.

My friend said that the dog has been knocked off its feet by the revolution
in the music industry which is the way I saw it.  At least that was what
they were trying to convey.

http://www.amazon.com/Selling-Sounds-Commercial-Revolution-American/dp/image
s/067403337X

> This enlargement shows pretty clearly that this is a photograph.
> Although it might have photoshopped the dog into the picture, if it was
> a painting why would they have used an unmodified Crapophone when even
> if the artist had used a Crapophone as a model he could have modified
> that horn joint so it would look like a legit machine.  If it was a
> painting and it was left looking like a Crapophone, that is WORSE than
> using a photograph!  Plus the reproducer is on the wrong side of the
> turntable.  This is from HARVARD UNIVERSITY PRESS.  I expect higher
> academic standards from a university press, especially from Harvard.
>
> > I thought it was a pretty effective visual joke.
>
> OK, what is your interpretation of the cover?  What does the visual joke
> mean? Is the dog dead, or is it rolling in ecstasy?  There seem to be
> two opinions in the matter.
>
> Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

> From:  Dnjchi at aol.com

Ron L