[78-L] RadioRe: This Will Make Radio Even MORE Dead

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed May 13 10:02:59 PDT 2009

From: David Lewis <uncledavelewis at hotmail.com>

> Bravo Dr. B!

Thanks, Unk!

> I've gone on long, so let me say that there are reasons
> people make music other than to make money.
> Uncle Dave Lewis

Some of you might remember the memorable ARSC Conference session with
reps of the RIAA where I finally got so disgusted with them I squelched
them by shouting out "YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU ARE TALKING
ABOUT!"  It was just this matter that was being flogged by them.  They
were of the opinion that no artists would ever create anything if they
were not getting paid for it.  I told them to ask Vincent Van Gough
about that.  They were of the opinion that there would be no new music
unless Garth Brooks and the giant multinationals got paid royalties for
sales of everybody's records.

Of course those of you who were not there cannot hear that session
because in the spirit of freedom of academic inquiry the RIAA reps
withdrew the rights for ARSC to distribute the tape of the session.
However, I do have my video recording of the session.  Maybe I ought to
bring it to the Conference and have a late night screening in my
room!!!!

Mike (I HATE the RIAA) Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com