[78-L] RadioRe: This Will Make Radio Even MORE Dead

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue May 12 20:57:50 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan Bunting" <alanbuntinguk at yahoo.com>

> I think Uncle Dave is taking rather a pesisimistic view. Here in the UK
> royalties have always been paid to both artists and composers for music
> broadcast and I remember being most surprised some years ago when I first
> learned that this was not so in the USA.
>
> It hasn't stopped the BBC still owning 4 symphony orchestras and a concert
> orchestra although, sadly, no light orchestras.  BBC Radio 2 and Radio 3
> and countless commercial stations still broadcast huge quantities of
> music. The fact that most of it is not to my taste is another matter!
>
> Although I strongly oppose the 70 year copyright extension which may be
> about to happen in Europe, I do respect the right of performers to earn a
> living from their performances during the existing copyright period.
>
> It is my understanding that playing records is "free" on American radio
> stations is because it was originally seen by the record companies as a
> good source of advertising so they allowed it to happen.
>
> Alan Bunting

Sad reality the oneth...we 78-ophiles are virtually the ONLY people who
enjoy...
or even can tolerate...the popular music of many decades past!! Radio airs
what it THINKS listeners will enjoy; this by logic attracts listeners who
then
MIGHT hear the ads and thus have their buying habits altered...?!  Radio
makes
its money by selling advertising...and they grudgingly allow some
programming
to fill in the space between the ads! BUT...said programming MUST attract
listeners...and 78's DON'T...?!

Also, record makers (and artists) learned that hearing recordings over the
radio
induced music fans to BUY those selfsame recordings...and sometimes that
in turn inspired those fans to go see those artists live whenever possible
(which
is how musicians make money!)

...stevenc (musician/net "broadcaster"/shellac accumulator/usw.)