[78-L] AM Radio (and the music) is now dead

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue May 12 19:53:18 PDT 2009

The one thing that "AM radio" (as long as it was on the "medium wave" band,
anyway!)
could do was "skip" after local sunset...so there were actually MANY "clear
channel"
stations (NOT the similarly-named company!!) which could be heard all over
North
America after dark!

I used to listen to blues from WLAC (Nashville, Tenn.) well into the night;
I could
also listen to CBL-AM (CBC Toronto) in central Illinois once I decided to
move
up here!

I have NO idea how MW AM radio worked in Europe...?! Nor do I know if,
or to what extent, "clear channel" AM stations/frequencies still exist?!

I DO know that FM, on the 88-108MHz band. CANNOT "skip!"

Steven C. Barr
ex-K9JOO