[78-L] speaking of radio...and the internet

Rodger Holtin rjh334578 at yahoo.com
Tue May 12 16:42:38 PDT 2009

Our college station celebrated its 40-year anniversary in 2007 - an enviable record for one of the original 10-watt Class D stations as many of them went dark when the FCC eliminated the Class Ds (back in the early 1980s, as I recall.)  Many morphed into NPR stations, some stayed independent in some way, I don't really know much about that, just from what I've heard while driving across the nation with my FM ears on.  Some could be counted on to offer local programming - including occasional 78 rpm content. [There, now we're on topic.]
Such is the case of ours, still independent, and I'm still there playing an exceptionally eclectic mix under the guise of 'big band.'  We paid the bills by selling sponsorships ("underwriting") to the local school ball games, and the popularity of the university teams with alumni across the country fueled the use of the Internet to web-cast the whole station, including all the play-by-play you could stand.  This year has been marked by budget cuts in every possible area, and some here-to-fore impossible areas, and the Internet radio was one of those victims.  The sportscasting has been picked up by some outfit that specializes this kind of stuff, making it possible for schools the size of ours which do not have radio stations to broadcast and (by extension) web-cast their ball teams.  This is yet another facet of the Internet juggernaut.
Just FYI,

Rodger

For Best Results use Victor Needles.

.