[78-L] cleaning and digitizing 78s

Ken Matheson kenmath at yahoo.com
Tue May 12 14:01:52 PDT 2009

Search on Google, and Yahoo will give you much information. But there are some things not mentioned in most web sites. The readers of this list could share some tips. Depending on the quality of recording you want, some of the equipment is difficult to obtain. Digitizing old records does not have a big following, so good quality sound cards, and preamps are difficult to obtain. Most good quality sound cards are made for the MIDI, DJ, and insterment market, and have ballanced inputs, 1/4 inch jacks. Most phono preamps have unballanced outputs, RCA jacks, and don't have independant volume controls. I believe the preamps can be modified to include a seperate volume control for both channels. There are a few sound cards that have servo inputs that will alow unbalanced outputs from the preamp to go directly into the sound card.  One thing i have found is if the levels are not set corectly when recording, when female singers put a lot of energy into mid
 and higher notes it may couse distortion. I found a -10, or -12db to be the best for recording. Also keeping the level going into the sound card mid level is better, but most sound cards do not have volume controls so this is difficult. Also the software you use for restoring the  finished recording is important. I like Sony Sound Forge, but i have seen others just as good. I have found early Japanese record producers used American equipment. These Japanese record companies also made records for China, and Korea. Some of the old 78's were recorded with the cutter head out of alignment so if you use a sterio cartridge the level, volume, will change from one track to the other as the needle goes twaard the middle. I have also discouvered 3 phase power hum on some. Good luck.
Ken