[78-L] Clueless eBay listing of the week

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon May 11 19:31:49 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "agp" <agp2176 at verizon.net>
> And now for you dining and dancing pleasure -- the clueless eBay
> listing of the week!
> Its CHUBBY CHECKER - LET'S LIMBO SOME MORE - PARKWAY p7027 -- and as
> expected its an lp listed as a 78. But to add to the joy, check out
> this description:
>
> "The Album was put out by Parkway a subsidiary of Columbia Records.
> This is in Monotone."
> I guess Parkway's very short-lived association with Columbia must
> make it very very rare --- but Chubby must have been very bored when
> he recorded it!
>
> Oh -- and then there is the note: We RELUCTANTLY accept Paypal at this
> time.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/CHUBBY-CHECKER-LETS-LIMBO-SOME-MORE-PARKWAY-p7027_W0QQitemZ390050994557QQihZ026QQcategoryZ306QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>
> There oughta be a law!

IIRC, "monotone" is a fairly-close description of Mr. Checker...who had the
ONE
big hit (as I recall that was actually a cover of Hank Ballard?!) and then
disappeared
back into oblivion (or "limbo?!)...!

Sadly in this day and age when hit tunes are mostly copied off the
Internet...the average
"I'm gonna get rich...RICH, I tell ya!!!" eWotsit seller knows that
"records" were (are,
increasingly!!) large round discs of "bakelite" which turned either at 78 or
33 rpm
(45rpm records had great big holes, making them easier to identify!) and are
VERY
valuable due to their age (even older than the sellers' parents!!). Of
course, this
great age means they don't play noiselessly...unlike modern "records!"

...stevenc