[78-L] AM Radio (and the music) is now dead

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon May 11 10:44:44 PDT 2009

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [78-L] AM Radio (and the music) is now dead
From: "simmonssomer" <simmonssomer at comcast.net>
Date: Mon, May 11, 2009 5:30 am
To: "78-L Mail List" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>

During that period, 1935-1950, there were only four network affiliated
AM
stations in NYC. They were WEAF (NBC), WOR(Mutual),WJZ (NBC) and WABC.
(CBS)
The independnents were WMCA, WHN, WNEW, WINS which offered lotsof
individual
local programming , among which."Make Believe Ballroom" Baseball
B'casts,
Hertz Mountain Singing Canaries and of course The Tam-Tam Cracker
Hour...
(There were several others whose calll letters I've forgotten.). It was
fabulous.

Al "Secret Squadron" Simmons

Those of us who grew up in major cities like New York, Chciago, LA, etc.
forget that except for perhaps the ten largest cities in the country
there were only two or three stations in a city, and only two or three
cities like this in the entire state!  I have the first Broadcasting
magazine Yearbook, published in 1937 and it is fascinating to go thru
the station listing state by state and try to figure out which stations
people in that area would have been able to hear.  I am not within reach
of that book right now, but I recall that in my area of Morehead
Kentucky there were NO stations closer than two weak ones in Lexington
60 miles away that might not have been audible, and three moderate (and
one SUPER POWER) station in Cincinnati 120 miles away and two in
Louisville 130 miles away.  NONE were independent non-network
affiliates.  During the daytime it would be hard to pick up more than
three or four of these, and at night the main stations would be the
clear channels from Cinc, Chicago, Nashville, and perhaps Atlanta.  All
audible stations would have been network affiliates, but WSM and WLS
would have broken away from the network on Sat nite for the barn dance
progs.

It is worth noting that none of the NYC independent stations you
mentioned were "formatted" stations playing only one type of music for
the entire day.  That type of specialization programming only came in
the 1950s.  EVERY station had a something-for-everybody format prior to
that.  You might think that WNEW was noted for Big Bands, but that was
only for a few hours a day.  Perhaps the closest to formatting would be
the foreign language stations like WEVD, but not only did they program
in multiple languages each day, within each language there were varied
programs in the something-for-everybody mode.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com