[78-L] What WILL they think of next? Hey, I know..78s

I. Cubillo i.cubillo at telefonica.net
Sun May 10 15:23:09 PDT 2009

It could well be a case of excessive caution, to avoid things that you don't
know very well. I've heard about the case of someone trying to issue a new
CD with old recordings made in early forties by our singer Conchita Piquer,
old recordings already out of copyright. The case is that the heirs of the
singer went legally against the guy who tried to issue the CDs... Figure
out! Not even the authors of the music sheets, but the sons of the singer
who made the old 78s!!! As strange as it might look, they won... dunno if it
was a legal fight, carried in legal terms... or a mere commercial manoeuvre,
but the Piquer heirs managed to get that guy out of business. No CDs saw the
light.

Copyright issues in Spain are a bit confusing, and our SGAE (General Authors
Society) is a dangerous hungry tiger. But the worst is the bad atmosphere
betwen artists, editors, and the like... a jungle where everyone tries to
get money from the other's initiatives. At least, it's the image one has in
mind about this strange world of artists.

Inigo