[78-L] What WILL they think of next? Hey, I know..78s

I. Cubillo i.cubillo at telefonica.net
Sun May 10 15:22:00 PDT 2009

Lennick: I'm not an expert on this area... That's what they've told me.
Maybe you can read between lines and clarify this. It seems that there's
some kind of legal trouble if you make a copy of the disc on CD, and then
air the copy. Perhaps a sort of legal breaking to the original mechanical
copyright of the disc, already expired. If you make a new copy form the
original, you're breaking the copy prohibition, could it be this? It's the
case that the mech. copt. had expired, but not the prohibition to make
copies, as this is a way of reissuing the recording. It sounded to me as if
you air the very same record whose mech. copt. has expired, there's no
trouble at all, but if you make new copies, those copies are tied to the
recording copyright... The only thing that has expired is the mechanical
copyright of the original 78rpm disc.

Maybe that if you make copies of the disc, they become illegal, so you
couldn't legally air them. Dunno...

It's clear that, leaving apart the will of these guys who prefer to use the
original shellacs, they're absolutely sure that if they air the original
78s, there's no legal trouble to be afraid of.

Iñigo Cubillo

Records/Childrens