[78-L] What WILL they think of next? Hey, I know..78s

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat May 9 16:30:47 PDT 2009

Steve's comment makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE AT ALL (caps appropriate).
This eliminates almost all V-Discs, all Young Peoples Records/Childrens
Record Guild, Vogues, many Cosmo, Atlantic, RCA Victor, and thousands of
other records on other labels in the 1940s into the early 50s.  There
were plastic 78s dating back to the Columbia Marconi pressings of 1906.
Victor issued some 78 pressings in the 30s on Victrolac which WAS vinyl,
and the 10 and 12-inch Victor Home Recording Discs were also
Victrolac/Vinyl.  Edison Diamond Discs were not shellac -- the earliest
were celluloid on a wood flour core and the later ones were condensite
on a china clay core.

I know this is difficult, but it might be helpful to THINK before
posting.  (By the way, dl and Ingo's postings were discussing the state
of vinyl LPs, not 78s.)

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com

From: "I. Cubillo" <i.cubillo at telefonica.net>

From: "Steven C. Barr" <stevenc at interlinks.net>
So...why doesn't someone set up a SHELLAC pressing facility...?!

To me, 10" 78rpm vinyl phonorecords DO not...and CAN not...qualify
as "78's!" In fact, I own a 10" vinyl phonorecord cut at 78rpm...which
is STEREO...from 1968; the other phonorecord in the related set is
supposed to be QUADRAPHONIC (dunno if this is/was ALSO
cut at 78rpm...?!)

FEH!!

...stevenc