[78-L] What is a...?

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed May 6 15:06:39 PDT 2009

RAY KILCOYNE wrote:
>>> The key  question here is "Why?"
>>> Cary Ginell
>>>
>>> What
>>> dc
>>>
>> Don't forget "When?"! (Kalin  Twins.)
>> dl
>>
>>> Next we need a list of WHO  songs.  Then WHERE.  And WHEN, WHY, and HOW.
>>> I think there  would be a masters thesis in this.
>>>
>>> Mike (don't ask)  Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com
>>>
>> And "Who" was a big hit in the mid-'20s. (George Olsen and his Mucis)
>> Don Chichester
>>
> The Platters did WHERE, as did Ozzie Nelson with vocal by Harriet Hilliard.
> Likely two different songs.
> RayK

And Vic Damone (or maybe Tony Martin) did HERE (In This Enchanted Place),
borrowed from Rigoletto. Never returned, as far as I know.

Years ago, we used to have to do segments on the radio called "foreground"
where we'd devote fifteen minutes to a particular subject, even though we were
a pop music station (all FM stations in Canada had to do this a minimum number
of times a day) so one copout I enjoyed was taking songs that were in the music
universe anyway and linking them up as "Questions and Answers". One I got a
kick out of getting away with was

WHO WERE YOU THINKING OF? (for those who don't remember the 70s, the next line
is "When we were making love, Last night")
ME AND MRS. JONES
ME AND YOU AND A DOG NAMED BOO
ME AND JULIO DOWN BY THE SCHOOLYARD