[78-L] Found an old crank victrola

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed May 6 11:40:09 PDT 2009

Is the sheet of paper with the patent and license info still on the
bottom of the case?  Some of them have a place for the serial number to
be written in, and this might confirm if that dash is just a partial
strike of a number.  A four-digit serial number for a popular Victrola
model is unusual (although my Victrola IV is serial number 1048, and my
Victrola XI is numbered in the 13xxx region.)  Yours is more likely
1672446B.  Is your turntable 10 or 12-inches as per the info about the
change that Baumbach's listing notes?  Also, is the oiling instruction
sheet still inside the machine?  I suggest that you protect these
sheets, especially the corners where the printing date and form numbers
are.  I take a sheet of plastic, cut it to a little larger than the
sheet, and tape the plastic over the sheet without putting any of the
tape on the paper.

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com

From: Royal Pemberton <ampex354 at gmail.com>

Info from LOOK FOR THE DOG by Robert Baumbach:

The model you have was made from 1911 to 1926 and sold for between $25
and $35. It's similar to the Victrola IV except for a larger oak
cabinet and a double-spring motor. These features made it $10 more
expensive than the IV.

In May 1913 the VI was remodeled with a 'suspended horn amplifying
chamber' (the horn thus floating within the cabinet rather than
attached to it) and a 12 inch turntable replaced the 10 inch.

In November 1918 the cabinet was redesigned to include a removable
motor board (earlier, the entire top was hinged) and now the VI was
also available in mahogany.

The VI is equipped with an Exhibition sound box and nickel-plated
hardware.