[78-L] Found an old crank victrola

Bud Black banjobud at cfl.rr.com
Wed May 6 11:27:56 PDT 2009

You got a bench in your car?

-------Original Message-------

From: Jim Whipkey
Date: 5/6/2009 1:55:33 PM
To: 78-l at klickitat.78online.com
Subject: [78-L] Found an old crank victrola

Hey,  78 listers, I  went to an auction last night and  surprised   myself
immensely by making the successful high bid on an old  table model
Victrola.  I have  several   turntables to play my 78s, but this is the
first  vintage crank machine I've  touched since  playing with my
Grandparent's  big floor model victrola many decades ago.  It will stay in
my house  until my heirs  dispose of it,  but I'm hoping  some of you can
give me some  history on the machine.   It works fine,  I couldn't wait till
I got it to my car, plopped it down on a bench, cranked,  turned the switch
and  voila,  the record which came with it,  a Victor 12 incher  labeled
"gems from the Mikado" on both sides, played  great.  The  needle  needs
replaced and I've already ordered  new ones.  The  cabinet is  light color
wood, I would guess oak. Just can't believe   everything works and is in
great shape.  The label on the side  says Victor and also says VV-VI
1672-46B.  Is this enough for anyone to help me  identify  any  information
about it?
Jim Whipkey