[78-L] How well did they do it

David Lennick dplennick at yahoo.com
Mon May 4 19:11:46 PDT 2009

We're told that classical recordings were recorded using only the outer portion of the disc, for fidelity. I don't believe that to be the case, since I've heard Masterworks recordings that clearly vary in frequency range and are probably from the same sessions. The use of 16-inch discs as master material grew out of covering entire sessions, including breakdowns and false starts, and using the available space on a disc..unknown alternate takes have been found because of this. Do we know anyone who's examined original Columbia or Capitol or Decca lacquers and can verify how they were recorded?

dl